Tuesday, September 05, 2006

A recipe and some rest

Here's the recipe for the first of our freezer meals. The pan is currently defrosting in my fridge just waiting to be popped in the oven tomorrow night. If this all works out, I may just start cooking one weekend a month and filling the freezer. Tonight I came home late from class and had some cheap, yet pretty good, Hamburger Helper ready in 10 minutes thanks to my precooked, frozen ground beef. I'm looking forward to some blueberry pancakes straight from the frrezer in the morning. This is pretty cool so far.

King Ranch Chicken

1 package corn tortillas
2 cups chicken -- cooked and shredded ( I just baked about 5 boneless, skinless breasts)
12 ounces cheddar cheese -- grated
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can tomatoes with green chilies -- (Ro-Tel)
1 1/4 cups milk
1 onion -- chopped

Directions
Shred cooled, cooked chicken meat with two forks. Tear tortillas into 1-inch wide strips.

In a large baking dish, alternate layers of tortillas, chicken meat and cheese (reserve 1/2 cup of cheese for topping) until all the chicken is used. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the layered mixture. Top with reserved cheese.

Cover with plastic wrap, then seal with aluminum foil.



To prepare: thaw casserole before baking. Remove plastic wrap, then replace foil. Bake covered casserole at 350-degrees until hot and bubbly. You may remove aluminum foil 10 minutes before taking the casserole out of the oven to melt cheese.

Allow to stand 5 to 10 minutes, then cut with spatula and serve.


That's it for tonight. I caught a pretty severe head cold from Juli this weekend and I've felt terrible all day. The drive home from class was awful. I'm off to take some medicine and get to bed.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I love King Ranch Chicken! YUM! Now I gotta go make some. I like your receipe better than the one I have. Thanks for posting it.

Nicole *Ü* said...

That sounds pretty yummy. I've never heard of it before. I'll have to try it out. I'm always looking for new things to try out on my family. I get bored of the same old things. Good luck with the big day of cooking. I could never do it, not with my hectic, unorganized self!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I really want to try freezer menus.

Shannon said...

That sounds so yummy! I'm gonna have to try it.
I hope you are feeling better friend!