Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Close Call, Couth, and Karoke

I spent Monday at a child care center and saw some very unsettling practices taking place. It's upsetting to think that I've been working with this center for several months and they aren't making much progress. Child care in Missouri is so pathetic. Children are pretty much at the bottom of the list in this state. Our legislators have some pretty twisted priorities, but from what I've seen, this is pretty typical of children's issues in our country. I think that hoping to someday see a change in how we treat our children in this country is what keeps me and my coworkers plugging away at our jobs. We're certainly not there for the pay. I'll step off the soapbox for now!

Monday afternoon I had a very scary moment. I was on my way to an appointment at a home I had never visited before near Marble Hill. I reached forward to set my trip odomoter and when I looked back at the road, I was about a foot away from a traffic sign warning of a drop off on the side of the raised road. I overcorrected, went across the center line and nearly off the other side of the road, overcorrected again and went back across the center line and nearly off the side of the road, overcorrected once more and crossed the center line for the third time, then hit a gravel driveway, spun 3 times and came to rest facing the direction I had just some from. I was about a foot from smashing into a huge brick pillar at the entrance of a park. By the grace of God, no other cars were in sight when this happened, which is truly a miracle, given that school had just dismissed right down the road. A man stared at me from across the street, but never approached my car. No one else saw it happen. I still made it to the appoinment on time. I'm still not sure what I was supposed to learn from this, but I was feeling pretty close to God as I watched the brick pillars spin in front of me.

I had a hard time getting through the child's assessment. I kept getting distracted by this huge, hot pink, wooden sign on the family's entertainment center that said "I Love Sex!" I couldn't bring myself to ask her where she got that fine piece of home decor. There are 4 kids in the house, two of whom sleep in their parents' bedroom. Personally, that would really deter my bedroom activity, but to each his own. Just when I think I've seen it all.



Not much else is going on for us until the weekend. We bought the game, Apples to Apples, on Sunday, so we plan to invite my sister and her fiance over Friday or Saturday to play. They are game nuts, especially my soon-to-be brother-in-law. On Sunday, we're having a Karoke party at my parents' house. Mom needed to see how much baked ziti she needed for the wedding reception, so we're having a "ziti run through" on Sunday. The groom is a huge fan of my mom's ziti and asked for a pan of it to be served at the reception. It doesn't exactly go with the rest of the menu, but I guess they can do whatever they want at their wedding. My family and lots of friends are coming over to eat ziti and sing some karoke. I haven't decided what tunes I want to sing yet. Any requests!?!:)


Tomorrow I visit a Perryville center in the morning and see a little guy for developmental therapy in the afternoon. I am looking forward to getting my house clean and working on Carson's birthday invites tomorrow while Greg is at band practice. Hopefully things will go as planned. Thanks for checking in!

9 comments:

Nicole *Ü* said...

Holy cow! Definitely scary - about the child care problems, your almost car accident, and that sign in that home. Unbelievable. And people wonder why there are problems with children in America these days. Sheesh. I'm glad you're OK and survived your car scare. I had something like that in the snow when I was pregnant with Conner. Definitely puts things in perspective and makes you think. Good luck with planning Carson's birthday party!!!

Yvonne said...

How scary! I'm glad you're ok! I can't believe (well, ok, I can)that the guy just stared. Maybe he was surprised? Hmmm. People can be weird. A good example is the sign at the home.

Karoke? Should be fun! As much as I enjoy listening to music, singing is not my forte. Have a great time!

Trinka said...

How scarry....your angel was watching over you at that time.

Love Baked Ziti...we have it here about once every two weeks.

Shannon said...

Amy I am so glad you are OK! That sounds so scary! God was totally looking out for you.
We love apples to apples. It is way fun to play with people who really know you.
I can't wait to see what you do for Carson's invites, I bet they are going to look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Hey I can leave a comment on your blog! YAHOO!

That was a major close call and I am so glad to know you were unharmed. VERY SCARY.

JoLynn said...

Thank God he was holding your hand! I am so glad you and your car are OK. Did you just have to get out and walk around for a minute to make sure you were ok??

Hope Karaoke was a blast - I have never done karaoke.

1UP RPG said...

I am surprised you can remember so much of the car episode so clearly...that is very scary! But, like you said, you can work out that message from God later.
And what is the deal with the government and the children...I mean, don't they remember the famous line from Whitney Huston's song "One Moment in Time"? "I believe the children are our future..." ;)
And, the fact that the 2 kids sleep in the parents bedroom and they proclaim to love sex is a little disconcerting...
You have such a funny way of telling stories!
Enjoy the baked ziti! That is a standard wedding food back in Kankakee. A lot of receptions have a choice of fried chicken, roast beef or baked ziti (or mostaccoli). We, however, just had appetizers and cake)
Brooke

Anonymous said...

Amy, thank GOD you were ok. Two friends of ours were killed this weekend in motorcycle wreck. Their 2 boys are left with no parents. I have not been able to sleep, and keep hugging my family.

As far as the weird people you visited, some people have no idea how to bring up socially correct children. What a shame.

Anonymous said...

Amy the previous annonymous comment was left by Rebecca F. No blog anymore, to post comments from.Have a good day,