Thursday, April 03, 2008

Days 2 and 3 in DC!!




Discalimer***I am exhausted and have chosen to ignore my typos. If you love me, you'll do the same.


Yesterday was great! We had conference sessions all day, then went on a Trolley Tour last night. It was awesome to see the monuments lit up at night. The tour pics are in the slide show. We had a fantastic tour guide and a fun group of tourists on the trip. I was absolutely in awe of how big all of the monuments are. The Lincoln Memorial blew me away.

We had limited time at each site, so my new friend, Becky Kircher, and I literally power walked at every stop to make sure we saw every possible sight. I was exhausted at the end of the night, but glad I got to see so much on the tour. The only thing I still really want to see tomorrow is The White House. The forecast is cold and rainy, so we'll see.

Today we met with our Senators and Reps on Capitol Hill. What an eye opening experience. I try not to get too political on the blog, but the Republican congressmen where very good at glad handing and offering a photo op, while the Dems took notes and listened to our comments. A certain Republican candidate literally told me that the way to solve child care issues was for women to stay home with their children. He was a scary, scary man. I did take a pic of John McCain's office, but unfortunately, I didn't have time to find Hillary or Obama's offices. Capitol Hill is a truly gigantic place and took lots of time to travel to our various appointments.

Late this afternoon, Becky and I toured the National Air and Space Museum, where the Treasures of American History are temporarily housed while the American History Museum is being renovated. I say lots of cool things, including the hat Abe Lincoln was wearing when he was shot, Dorothy's ruby slippers, Babe Ruth's baseball, R2D2 and C3PO, and lots of other fun stuff.

Unfortunately for us, we could not find a cab back to the hotel when the museum closed, so we got to walk 15 blocks in the pouring, freezing rain to get back to the hotel. Did I mention I was in a windbreaker with no umbrella? It took 30 minutes for my arms to thaw. We took cabs to and from dinner to avoid catching our death.

Tomorrow is more meetings and more sightseeing! Thanks for checking in!

2 comments:

electricpenny said...

Republicans are a scary bunch Aim! How does one go about telling a professional / mother that she shouldn't even be having this conversation with him while her child is unnattended. I wish my ass was so accomidating that I could ostrich my head in there when needed. Have fun and take lots of pictures!

Becca said...

Wow, I agree totally. For fear of revealing that I am a democrat through & through - I better not comment further or I may offend someone.