Saturday, September 24, 2005

Days go by



Was it really Wednesday when I last blogged? My how the time has flown. I ended up having Wednesday and Thursday off this week and worked yesterday and today.

Carson had an eye appointment on Wednesday. The doctor suggested he may not yet have developed depth perception, which is why he contiues to fall often and sometimes run into things. She thinks his occupational therapist at school should be able to do some exercises with him to improve the probability that he will develop depth perception. I really like his doctor, but I really dislike when doctors and other medical professionals talk down to patients, or patient's parents in this case. I politely left without saying much, but I wanted to say, "So you honestly believe that an occupational therapist spending 30 minutes a week with Carson at school is going to help remedy such an important issue?!?! How about a referral to a visual therapist, or a developmental optometrist?!!?" I've found both on my own, by the way. We'll be calling for an appoitment next week. It's times like these that I'd really like to have my resume tattooed somewhere to say, "Look here! I'm educated too, so don't talk to me like I'm a moron." One more reason to start working on that PhD. It would be so nice to introduce myself as Dr. Franklin. :)

Today I worked at a seminar put on by my workplace. Over 200 child care providers attended. It went really well and made me realize how comfortable I am in my new job and how much I enjoy being part of a university. I was approached during the seminar to teach a different class in the spring. The class is called "Child Life in Hospital Settings. " I loved the course when I took it during graduate school, but I never dreamed I'd be asked to teach it. It's an upper level course, unlike the freshman level courses I've been teaching. I think it will be great to have students who already have the basics down and are ready to get into some more in-depth material. It scares me a litttle that I could potentially have graduate students in my class, but I'll get over it. I had to stop myself from taking over the presentation from the speaker in the room I was helping in at the seminar. I like being the teacher. ;)

This afternoon we went to a birthday party for Jacob, my friend Becky's, little boy. She had the party at Pioneer Apple Orchard and it was great. We had a hayride, picked pumpkins, ate apples, and roasted hotdogs. Here are some pics:


Riding to the pumpkin patch




















Dirty-faced boy


Tomorrow, we're going to early church and then to St Louis to let Carson pick out something for his birthday and possibly take him to the transportation museum if the weather is good. He is crazy about trains and we've never been to the museum before. Should be a fun day! His party is next Saturday and I've just about got every thing under control. If everyone comes, there will be 42 children there. Oh my! My mom has helped greatly. Thanks Mom! Have a great Sunday everyone!

1 comment:

Diana Sue said...

Amy loved your post. Saturday had a great time talking to you. If you need me to bring something call or blog me. Oh the Sizzix that Keith got me works great . The alphabet that I got is called Boxed Brush and it has the uppercase, lowercase, numbers, and punctuation. Rebecca ,you , and I will have to get together and do some scrapbooking. Will see you Saturday, Can't wait.