Thursday, January 26, 2006

Just another day in paradise

Hmmmm...what did I do today? I made a yummy soup for the girls in my office. It is actually a recipe of one of the other girls I work with, but I happened to have all the ingredients in my kitchen. It was deeeee-lish! Here's the recipe:

1 large package frozen, shredded hashbrowns
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 container (16 oz?) sour cream
1 package shredded cheddar cheese
1 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 bunch greeen onions, chopped
milk

Combine everything but milk in crockpot. Add milk to your liking-more for soupier soup, less for thicker soup. Cook on high 4-5 hours or on low all day. Top with real bacon bits and additonal sour cream if desired.

I've added a second bag of hashbrowns to stretch for a crowd, and it's still good. You can also cook on the stovetop until heated through for a speedier dinner.


After lunch I ran errands on campus, including getting keys to my new classroom, (which I was locked out of last Thursday night) and checking out some books for my class at the library. Apparently, Child Life in Hospitals is not at the top of the university's spending list. I had trouble finding books published after I was born. I'll be 30 in April. Sad, but true (on both counts!) So, I read a book to my students tonight that had pictures of nurses who, quite literally, closely resembled the flying nun. Huge hats. Little white uniforms, and pantyhose. It was good for a laugh if nothing else.

I have one guy in my class this semester, which adds a whole new dynamic. I'm still getting used to it. He seems pretty easygoing given he's the only source of testosterone in a room of 25 women. We like to give him crap for being a "general studies" major. I may sway him to the world of child development before the end of the semester. We definitely need more men in the field.

Bible study is going great. I have a wonderfully diverse group of ladies to "lead", and I am learning so much from all of them.

For a change, we have NO PLANS this weekend! Hallelujah! I hope it stays that way. Have a fantastic Friday and share a recipe with me if you have a chance. My budget needs us to eat at home.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Here's my recipe...it is super easy and I make it quite a bit.

To Die For Crock Pot Roast (I think, Amy, that you gave this to me)

1 beef roast, any kind, sized to fit crock pot
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
1 pkg brown gravy mix
1 pkg Italian dressing mix
1/2 c water

Place roast in crockpot. Mix all three envelopes and sprinkle on top of roast. Pour 1/2 c warm water in the bottom of the crockpot. Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours.

I also add carrots, celery, onion, etc. to mine. MMMMMMM good!