Monday, August 08, 2005

On the road again...

I'm leaving. I wish I was leaving on a jet plane, but alas, I'm leaving in a rental car. At least we don't have to drive the hoopty Taurus station wagon that has "Workshop on Wheels" painted on the side of it. It's the office car. It gets you some really strange looks when you're driving down the interstate. It doesn't say "Child Care Resource and Referral" or "Southeast Missouri State University", just "Workshop on Wheels." It's pretty funny really. I drove the ol' workshop all the way to Columbia, MO and back last week. Yep, lots of funny looks from my fellow drivers.

Today I got all of my errands done since I'll be gone until late Friday. I'll be missing the Jackson Homecomer's Celebration this week. I was feeling sad about it until I realized that in 2 weeks, I'll be at the Wilson County Tennessee Fair and on Labor Day weekend I'll be at Pensacola Beach. What's left of it at least. Makes me feel not-so-bad about missing Homecomers. I think Greg is planning to take Carson one night this week.

I got some bad news about one of my therapy kiddos today. He will be losing his Medicaid coverage on August 18. He has to breathe through a trach tube and must have nursing care in his home at night and without Medicaid, he will not have any coverage to pay for the nursing care. Some of you may remember me talking about Colton when he was very ill. He was born at 25 weeks gestation and weighed 1 lb 7 oz. He will be 1 on August 18 and is doing very well, despite the trach. His parents did what they thought was the right thing and have been paying for COBRA health insurance coverage from her former employer. Colton's Medicaid is being taken away because his parents chose to be responsible and provide additional coverage for their child, even though COBRA is very expensive. His COBRA policy will expire in 6 months, leaving him with nothing. His family is very worried. Please pray for Colton and his family. I can only imagine how terrified they must be for their son. He is also going to see a reconstructive surgeion in Cincinatti this month to see about having his trach taken out and his throat reconstructed. This Medicaid ordeal may mean postponing the surgery. I'm not feeling uber political tonight, so I'll just say that this sucks, and I hate it when there is a Republican majority. 'Nuf said.

I'm off to snuggle with my little guy and pack for the trip.

Happy belated birthday to my buddy, Becky!!! (It's 29, right?!?)

See ya'll on Friday!

4 comments:

Dottie said...

OMG Amy! I am feeling really sick for little Colton and his family right now. I can't even drum up the energy to get started on the political issues right now, either but I do think that our leaders should have had to look in the little guys face and that of his parents and tell him that they won't help him. I am offering up many prayers for his family today and will continue to do so. Be safe on your trip...glad you don't have to drive the hoopty mobile. Workshop on Wheels....FUN! :)

1UP RPG said...

Amy, I am praying for Colton...and remind me to loan you this book I just finished: Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety by Judith Warner. One of her premises is that we wouldn't be so worried about our kids getting a piece of the pie if our government could just make the pie a little bigger.
Brooke

Becky said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Yes, it's definitely 29!