Tuesday, August 23, 2005

So Sad

I got to experience firsthand just how terrible childcare in Missouri has gotten and how little we value our children. I visited what is quite possibly the worst childcare facility I have ever seen. I went to rate them for an accreditation program they want to be a part of. There is money involved if they get accepted. They had known for weeks that we were coming today. It was horrible. I'll spare the details to protect my job, but I will say that I have never seen a sorrier program in my life. Children were literally being humiliated and neglected in front of me and the other evaluators. The equipment in the center and the playground posed serious safety threats. The teachers had little, if any, knowledge of child development and appropriate practice. Imagine what they do when we're not there. This is a licensed facility. It will do little, if anything, to contact the licensing rep. The reps are so bogged down, thanks to drastic layoffs of about 50% of the licensing reps this year, that child care centers in Missouri now get one visit a year from the licensing reps. Our illustrious Governor is to thank for that decision. Way to protect our kids, Matt! I thank God that I do not have to rely on a childcare provider for care for Carson. What a sad day.

2 comments:

Diana Sue said...

Amy that is a sad story. You need to call me I would like to tell you about a little boy I know. I hope your week gets better.

1UP RPG said...

I hate to hear this! I was always so grateful for the University Child Enrichment Center...excellent teachers, loads of pictures of the kids and thier artwork on the walls, stimulating activities and good meals. I had Eva eat breakfast, lunch and snack there (she went on Tuesdays and Thursdays) because it was better (variety and nutrition wise) than what I prepared at home! I was so surprised when I saw the breakfast and lunch menus for South Elementary...way to have kids start off the school day with an iced cinnamon roll and chocolate milk! (i'm sure Miss Amy is glad if the kids don't come in buzzed from that!)However, I don't worry about the quality of the learning environment there. It's awesome, too. But, I digress. Do you think the parents don't realize how bad this place you visited is? Is it less expensive than others in the area so it's the only option for some? Could we send Matt Blunt a picture of it?
:)
Brooke