Sunday, July 03, 2005

Happy Campers?!?!




Who decided that campers are happy? I spent the day at a local campground with my extended family on my dad's side yesterday. It was not exactly happy. A little background...I generally prefer indoor activities to outdoor activities year round. Being crammed into a campground with a thousand other people, many of whom are proudly flying the rebel flag and cooking unknown game meat over an open fire while sucking on a cigarette, is not my idea of a great time. I love my family, but we have very different tastes in recreation. My idea of roughing it is staying at a Days Inn instead of a Hampton or a Drury. (I just happened to get more beads than other ladies. No flashing was involved, although my lovely relatives gave me crap abuout this for the rest of the day.)


Remember my fear of open water? I would actually prefer to be dropped in the middle of the ocean with a mask, snorkel, and fins than swim in a river or lake. The river was packed. Carson splashed around for a little while, but I just couldn't bring myself to put my feet in the water. Call me a snob, but the idea that someone upstream may need a potty break is reason enough for me to avoid the water. Yuck.














On a better note, the food was great! It was cool how everyone in my family, plus their neighboring campers, showed up at 5:30 with a contribution for the community table. I was stuffed and the scale was up 4 pounds when we got home last night. It was only up one when I got up this morning. I still don't understand how that's possible. Where did the other 3 pounds go during the night?

There were some other good points. Carson entered his turtle, "Poop Butt," in the turtle race. (Gotta love the creative mind of an almost 4-year-old boy!) Said turtle sprang to his feet and raced to the finish line.....just as the race was over. Here's a photo of our champ minutes before the race.


















We intended to stay for the fireworks, but decided to pack things up early and head home. Carson was in a very crabby mood since he hadn't gotten a nap and Greg was tired of chasing him all over the campground. (I tend to start talking and forget to watch my son. I know, it's really bad. I am so lucky to have Greg! Thanks, Greggie! I know you read this!)

We've been invited to come to the campground anytime we want this summer. My aunt assures me it's a lot more fun when there aren't so many people there. I think I'll take her word for it. Call me a prima donna. I like the Drury Suites.

No comments: