Sunday, July 10, 2005

What a Weekend!


(From an email reply to Becky-she made the mistake of asking how our weekend was!)"The painting is all done except for the stripes around Carson's room. I will never paint by myself again. Carson was very good about watching movies while I was working on his room, but I was worn out and frustrated by the end of the night. Both rooms turned out well and I can't wait to get his stuff put back in his room once we get the stripes done. I got to the crop around 2. By the time we got all of the painting mess cleaned up and ate lunch, it was already 1:15 and we still hadn't eaten. I got no pages done because I sat and looked at Joni's Disney World pics and talked to everyone. It was hotter than heck in the back room. Greg and Carson came to pick me up at 4:00 with bad news. Betsy and Cecil's power and phone was knocked out Monday during the storms and he discovered when he went out yesterday to turn the air back up and water plants that everything in their 2 freezers and 2 refrigerators was spoiled. It was disgusting. We spent from 4:30-10 last night bagging up rotten food and cleaning out blood from all the spoiled meet. Cecil had 4 whole frozen ducks in one freezer. It was enough to make you gag. To make it even worse, their well pump was hit, so my parents had to bring water from their house for us to clean everything. It was quite a night. Cecil and Betsy got back at around 2am and said the house didn't even smell bad anymore. Their well got fixed this morning, but the phone line was totally fried and won't be back on until late this week. Today we went to visit the minister who married us. He's at Bonne Terre United Methodist Church now. We took the Bonne Terre Mine boat tour and it was awesome. I think Greg is uploading the pics to Carson's web site now. I finally have my interview at SEMO at 9 tomorrow morning. I am hoping all goes well and that I'll be starting there in a few weeks. We'll see! Talk to you soon!"

Touring the mine has given me new resolve to really get in shape so we can get SCUBA certified. The water has 100 ft visibility and all of the equipment and mining hats, etc was left just how it was the last day the mine was open. With the pumps turned off, the mine naturally flooded with the clearest water I have ever seen. There is one lone fish, Bonnie the Bass, that has been able to survive. She's 5 years old and hangs around the boat dock waiting to be fed. There is no other life in the mine, so she nothing to eat. She also follows the SCUBA divers around like a puppy. It was very interesting. The diving is highly regulated now, with 2 diveguides per dive. In the 70's open diving was allowed and several divers were never found. It is amazing place and just a little bit eerie.

Wish me luck on my interview tomorrow. This will be the third time I have applied and interviewed for this position. Last time I made it to the top 2, but was beat out by some affirmative action issues. The girl stayed in the position long enough to fininsh her master's degree at the employee tuition rate and then quit. Nice. I love all the girls in the office and really hope to get the job. I'll be keeping my First Steps jobs, but paring down my client list to local kiddos only. The First Steps office is just down the hall in the same building.

Vacation Bible School starts tomorrow! I am in charge of Carson's group. Should be fun! Have a great week!

No comments: