Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Overworked

I am so tired. After my 300 mile journey yesterday, I came home, changed, went to water aerobics, came home, made dinner, cleaned up, and finished reading"Samantha's Letters to Jennifer," (which is a good tear jerker by the way) and collapsed into bed at 12:00am. I was up at 7:00 to get Carson ready for school and to leave for my first of 5 appointments today. I need a day off. It seems like I have no time to get everything caught up. Stopping to read last night was a luxury and I paid for it tonight by having to miss Carson's second swimming lesson in order to finish paperwork. It seems crazy to me that so much paper is involved in order to help babies. I haven't met a baby yet who cared about paperwork.

A lovely teen mother at my noon appointment told me to quit asking nosey, f****** questions, or I could get the f*** out of her house. I had no idea that asking how long someone was in labor and when they began receiving prenatal care was so nosey. In my 3 years of asking these same, required First Steps questionnaire questions, I've never offended anyone before. There's a first time for everything.

Another first happened yesterday. For the first time in my career, a duck was present at one of my meetings. He just came waddling through the living room while I was talking and the family seemed to think this was perfectly normal. His name is Lucas and he is not housebroken. It was rather stinky during the meeting. He lives with a spanish-speaking family, but he still said "Quack!" like an English-speaking duck. :) I have learned to expect the unexpected and go with the flow since I began working with families in their homes. You just never know what's going to happen.

Tomorrow I have another round of appointments all day and swimming lessons for Carson tomorrow night. I am hoping to make it the scrapbook store this week to spend the gift certificate I received from my sister-in-law for my birthday. I got the gift certificate yesterday. My birthday was April 20. Better late than never. I am off to bed and I couldn't be happier. Have a great Wednesday!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Amy - That is SO funny about the duck!! You just never know what you're going to experience! Becky

Dottie said...

A duck???? A non house broken duck...ewww!!! People never cease to amaze me! Don't you just love saying to heck with it and reading a good book! Who's the author? I'd love to read it!