Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Change

I've decided that I can safely unveil my new plan for reaching a healthy weight. In the past, I've started telling people that I was on a new plan before I was truly committed, and then ended up not sticking to it and feeling like a huge failure.

This time, I've been at it for 4 weeks and can safely say that I'm back in the "loser" mindset. On the way home today, I realized that I was looking forward to stopping at the park for a walk. That hasn't happened in a couple of years. The exercise has been very rough, but I was noticbly less winded today. I still don't "enjoy" the actually act of exercising, but I am starting to get the craving for that feeling that happens when I push a little harder.

I have tracked my Weight Watcher points faithfully for 4 weeks. As of Monday, I was down a little over 8 pounds. I've averaged about 2 pounds a week, which is the way I need to do it to keep it off. It's amazing how my cravings for sweets and snacks have disappeared since I started journaling all my food again. It's so much easier to back away from the Cheetos when I see that one little bag will cost me five points. I could have 5 apples for the same number of points.

I've got several motivators to get the weight off this time. My mom's cancer has been a huge wake-up call. Being overweight and eating a diet high in animal fat are huge risk factors for cancer. I'm also hearing that little biological clock start to tick a little louder and I really want to be on as little medication as possible and have my blood pressure under control before I get pregnant. The last motivator is that I'll be damned if I'm going to Disney World at anywhere near my current weight. I want to be able to walk all over the parks without my feet killing me and I really want to be able to get some cute clothes to wear on our trip. I have therefore decided to call my new plan "Operation Skinny Minnie." Disney World, here I come!

My mom starts her chemo tomorrow, so please keep her in your prayers. She'll be receiving the chemo drugs for about 8 hours tomorrow. It will go more quickly the next time. She's ready to get started and get finished.


Skinny Minnie stats for the week so far:

pounds lost=2.6
Minutes walked=60
Miles walked=3.25


Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

3 comments:

1UP RPG said...

Good for you Amy! You do have some big motivators there. Having good spring weather to walk in is always a nice perk...let me know if you ever want to walk together! I discovered yesterday that the weight of the joovy stroller with two kids in it makes for a great work-out! :)
Brooke

Becca said...

Amy,

I am so proud of you! I also need to shed a few winter pounds, and quite alot if I want to have a beach body. I am going to tackle mine 10 pounds at a time. I will keep you in thought while I am drinking my water! HUGS to your Momma!!

~**Dawn**~ said...

What a fun name for your goal! =)

Thoughts & prayers for your mother.