Saturday, January 26, 2008

Party Squared

I'm a party girl this weekend. The spa party was awesome last night. Good friends, good food, great products and pampering. I had a fabulous time! No pictures though. It was a PJ party and I might have had mutiny on my hands had I busted out the camera when we were wearing eye pads and had mouths covered in exfoliation cream. I can't wait for all of my fun new products to arrive!

I watched Riley yesterday. He is the sweetest little guy. Carson helped me by feeding and entertaining him so I could make my party food. He's just a little bit jealous when Riley's around, but he does pretty well.
Man, how I had forgotten how much time and equipment is involved in caring for a ten-week-old. I felt like such a supermommy pulling up to meet Greg for lunch in my minivan with two kids to unbuckle and bundle up, a bag of toys to keep Carson occupied , the infant car seat complete with fleecy cover, and a huge diaper bag to tote along. The one-armed feeding the baby/trying to eat my own food trick came back pretty quickly, but I must admit I have certainly gotten used to the independence of an older child. We'll have some adjusting to do when we have our next baby.





Today I went to see a baby for work, then we went to the Jackson Diner for lunch. It was yummy. We made a quick stop at the store for some mailing supplies (Dawn-your package is being mailed Priority on Monday. Sorry!) and then to the grocery store for ingredients for my awesome new mac-n-cheese recipe. We had a few hours to relax at home before we headed to church for our pastor's 25th wedding anniversary party. There were several hundred people there and we managed to keep it a complete surprise. Needless to say, his wife cried.

Greg made a great slide show of their married life that made her cry even harder.



Greg has a business making slide shows for special occasions. He mostly does weddings, but has also done retirement videos, and birthday party videos. His website has more info and sample videos if you want to take a look. My brother's wedding video is the Penny/Link wedding.

Several girls asked for my recipe for Buffalo Chicken Dip at the party last night, so I thought I'd share it here. I made it for every Christmas function we had in December and there was rarely any left. It's easy and oh-so-yummy.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 pkgs cream cheese, softened
2 cans chicken breast, drained and flaked
aprrox 1/2 bottle of hot wing sauce or regular hot sauce
1/2 bottle blue cheese salad dressing (or ranch, if desired)
1 pkg shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Mix cream cheese, dressing, and hot sauce with mixer until smooth. Stir in chicken and 1/2 of the cheese. Spread in a greased, shallow casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with tortilla chips.

and here's the recipe I created today for baked macaroni and cheese:

Macaroni and Cheese

1 16 oz package elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
2 sticks butter
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1 pkg shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pkg cream cheese
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dry mustard

Melt 1 stick of butter in large saucepan. Stir in flour to make a roux (slightly brown the flour). Add evaporated milk and regular milk. Stir to combine. Add garlic salt, onion powder, and dry mustard. Cut cream cheese into fourths and add to saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Add macaroni and stir until coated with cheese mixture. Spread evenly in greased casserole dish.Melt second stick of butter and stir in cornflake crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs on top of macaroni. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

I realize it sounds complicated, but just do it. You won't be sorry. And by the way, don't be afraid of the dry mustard. It doesn't make it taste like mustard, but gives it more depth of flavor. (translation=makes it gooooooood!!!!!!)

Sophia posted a challenge on her blog earlier in the week to list some things that you do well. Not for bragging rights, but more to remind yourself when you're having a rough time that you do have talents and gifts that affect others. At the party last night, the consultant had each girl tell something nice about me. I was thrilled that nobody needed more than a few minutes to come up with something. :)I'm recording what the girls said here to remind myself that the next time I want to have a pity party, I do have gifts that affect others. Here goes:

1. Jayne said that I am an awesome B_ _ CH! (That's a compliment coming from her.) :)
2. My mom said that I fight for the things I believe in and for those who can't fight for themselves.
3. My mother-in-law said that I buy great presents for people.
4. Jane said that I'm very organized and that I've always made her feel included.
5. Amy said that I am an awesome cook. ( I told you I rock in the kitchen!)
6. Jaime said that I was there from the very beginning to support her when her preemie was born and that I was important in helping him his first three years.
7. Becky said that I'm a good friend and that we always have fun together.
8. Dana said that I have always been welcoming to her and that if I'm at the office, fun will be had.

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow is church, another new recipe or two, and some scrapbooking and card making! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Oh, please! No apology necessary. And you certainly don't have to spend the extra on Priority. Whatever is most cost effective is fine with me. I worked in daycare for five years with one-year-olds. I do not lack in patience. LOL!

Becca said...

Rebecca said, "Amy is a very beautiful and devoted mother, and I do not think I have ever spoke to her with out laughing about something."

Kaitlin cheered last night for basketball, sorry I could not make it. It sounds like you had fun.