Saturday, January 19, 2008

Voyeurism

I am addicted to reading other people's trip reports on the DIS forums. I am fascinated by how other people spend their time at Disney. Some of their itineraries would drive me insane. I am not big on hopping to three different parks a day or just winging it when it comes to dining reservations. I am methodical in my planning, so as to maximize our time at in the World and see and do as much as possible. I am one of those people who is stressed out when there is too much down time. I can't stand the thought that I might be missing something exciting. I'm also that mom that says, "No way are going to the hotel for a nap! He can sleep tonight." Weird, I know. This is why we usually go on vacation alone. I scare those fly by the seat of your pants vacationers. They literally infuriate me. Greg deals well with my planning and obsessing over details and our vacations are packed full of fun. I love it!


Anyway, I've spent the last 3 hours perusing the boards and reading trip reports. I have so many decisions to make!


We stayed home all day today. I cooked lunch and dinner. The meal theme of the day was, "let's eat what's in the pantry so we can possibly afford this Disney trip." We'll be having this theme frequently this year. Our menu included BBQ chicken bites, potato wedges, and baked beans for lunch and burritos, Spanish rice, and refried beans for supper. Not bad for eating what's left in the pantry.


Several friends asked for the recipe for the potato soup I made for scrapbooking, so here it is. It's originally from my coworker, Syd. It's really easy and really yummy!


1 large bag frozen, shredded hash browns

1 bag shredded cheddar cheese

1 can cream of chicken soup

8 cups whole milk

1 bunch green onions, chopped

2 sticks butter

salt and pepper


Melt butter in large stock pot. Add onion and saute until tender. Add hash browns and cream of chicken soup and stir until combined. Pour in milk. Heat, stirring often, until potatoes are tender and milk is heated. Stir in cheese until melted. Season with salt and pepper. It will need a good deal of salt. Serve with extra cheese and bacon bits, if desired. You can also just saute the onions in butter, then throw it all in the crockpot on high for about 4 hours.


I'm beat! I'll draw the winner of my giveaway in the morning. Thanks to all who commented!


P.S. to Brooke: I'm getting together a little hairdo montage in response to your comment. Stay tuned!

6 comments:

The Fishers said...

Thank you Amy for posting that recipe, I have to make it tomorrow for a friend and could not find my recipe anywhere!!
Heather

~**Dawn**~ said...

LOL! I would drive you out of your mind. I am totally a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants type at WDW. Sometimes I don't even decide to go until five minutes before I leave. And then I don't decide which park to go to until I hit the edge of property. Once I'm in the park, I stop at whatever attractions look the best to me as I am passing by that particular day. If a line looks too long (which is subject to interpretation in any given minute), I won't stop. And it's not uncommon for me to alter my plans on a moment's notice. However, I *can* navigate the parks with my eyes closed. I can work the Fast Pass system like a Jedi Master. And when my friends visit, they always brag to their families & other friends that they saw WDW without missing anything & without an ounce of stress. I must be doing *something* right. My coup de grace? My friend Alison & I once hit Magic Kingdom and did everything in four hours. Sometimes I can't imagine how stressful it must be to do WDW as a tourist.

Julie said...

Thanks for the recipe, Amy. It was YUMMY!

Leigh said...

I am so jealous that you get to plan a disney vacation. I can't see spending the money until Jack is a few years old atleast. So I'll have to live through your trips and planning until then!

Oh and I vote for the short hair cut!

Shannon said...

Yum, Thanks for posting the recipe it looks so good!
We are hoping to get to Disneyworld someday, we've been to the land but not world. I know you will have a great time! I'm with you on the no naps thing...sleep at night!

Becca said...

I am also a Disney planner. We have been twice, and there are so many magical memories, that happened because of my intense research, and planning. For instance, we stay at Port Orleans Riverside, parked at the Polynesian resort, ate there at O'Hana's for dinner, (our favorite) rode the monorail from there over to the Magic Kingdom, when we left we got on a little private boat that only takes you back to the Polynesian, and glided over the beautiful lake. They were just bringing out these HUGE lit up sculptures onto the water, and we went right past them. We then, went through the Polynesian, and back to our car. The lake ride was one of our kids favorite things, and we got to experience the Polynesian, and the monorail, without staying there $$$$.